Panang Curry Paste – is curry paste particularly used for Panang curry which is a type of Red Thai Curry that is thick, salty and sweet, with a nutty peanut flavor. Mostly cook with pork, chicken or beef. Available in 80g. and 500g.
Ingredients for Panang Curry Paste
- 15 long dried red chilies
- 40g (1/4 cup) roasted peanuts
- 5cm-piece fresh galangal or ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 3 French shallots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 3 fresh coriander roots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stem lemon grass, pale section only, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- Place the chillies in a heatproof bowl. Cover with boiling water. Set aside for 10 minutes to soften. Drain. Use a small sharp knife to cut the chillies lengthways. Remove the seeds and discard. Coarsely chop the flesh.
- Blend the chilli, peanuts, galangal or ginger, lime leaves, shallot, coriander root, garlic, lemon grass, cumin, ground coriander and fish sauce in a blender until finely chopped.
- Add the oil and blend, scraping down the side of the blender occasionally, until a smooth paste forms.