Thai sour curry paste: Kaeng Som Kung
- 1 cup tamarind concentrate
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. grated palm sugar
- 1⁄4 lb. long beans trimmed and cut into 2″ pieces
- 1 small chayote squash, cut into 2″ pieces about 1⁄2″ thick
- 1 small daikon (about 7 oz.), peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1⁄2″-thick slices
- 1⁄4 small Napa cabbage, sliced 2″ thick
- 8 oz. raw medium shrimp (about 10), peeled and deveined, tails removed
- Cooked jasmine rice, for serving
- Whisk the 1 1⁄2 cups curry paste with tamarind, fish sauce, and palm sugar in a 4-qt. saucepan or 13″ wok until smooth.
- Whisk in 4 cups water; bring to a boil. Add beans, chayote, daikon, and cabbage and reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, 20–25 minutes.
- Add shrimp; cook until shrimp are pink and cooked through, 1–2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let curry sit 20–30 minutes for flavors to meld.
- Serve with jasmine rice on the side.