Red curry paste: Thai red chicken curry
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2-3tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1kg (1lb) chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm (1 1/4in)pieces
- 300ml (9fl oz) coconut milk
- 250g (8oz) green beans, chopped into 5cm (2in)lengths
- 1-2tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onions, garlic and ginger. Cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the curry paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes. The sauce should have reduced and thickened by this stage.
- Add the beans, stir well, and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. There should be enough sauce to easily coat the meat. If the mixture is very liquid, increase the heat and simmer until reduced. Use a spoon to remove any oil that rises to the top. Season to taste and serve in bowls topped with a handful of coriander leaves, accompanied with steamed rice.