Panang curry paste: Panang Curry with Beef (Kaeng Phanaeng Neua)
- 1/2 cups (10 oz, 300 grams) beef, pork fillet or tenderloin, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (16 floz, 500ml) thick coconut milk – reserve 2 tablespoons (30 mls) to use as a garnish
- 4 tablespoons (100 grams) Panang curry paste
- 2 tablespoons (40grams) palm sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) Thai fish sauce
- 7 kaffir lime leaves – 3 torn into pieces, discarding the stem and 4 finely shredded
- 1/2 cup (1/2 oz, 30-45 ml) fresh sweet basil leaves
- 1 big red chili, sliced
- 4 tablespoons roasted ground peanuts (optional)
- Put half of the thick coconut milk into a wok and fry for 3-5 minutes, stirring continuously, until the coconut oil begins to separate out.
- Then add the Panang curry paste and fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Once the paste is cooked add the meat and cook until the outside of the meat is cooked.
- Then add the rest of the thick coconut milk and bring to the boil.
- Simmer and add the palm sugar along the side of the wok until it melts and then and add the fish sauce and kaffir lime leaf pieces.
- Stir to combine and then add half the basil leaves. Turn off the heat and serve garnished with the shredded kaffir lime leaves, red chilies, remaining basil leaves and remaining coconut milk.