Khao Soi Paste: Khao Soi Gai (Northern Thai-Style Coconut Curry Noodle)
- 4 tbsp Khao Soi Paste
- 9 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 400ml coconut milk
- 400ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 300g fresh egg noodles
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 50g chopped fresh coriander
- 2 limes, cut into wedges, to serve
- 100g pickle mustard greens
- Heat Khao Soi Paste in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chicken drumsticks and cook for 3-4 minutes on all sides, or until covered in the curry paste and browned all over.
- Add the curry powder, coconut milk and chicken stock to the pan and bring the mixture to the boil. Add the palm sugar and fish sauce, reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering, then simmer for 20 minutes, or until the chicken drumsticks are cooked through. (The chicken is cooked through if the juices run clear when pierced in the thickest part with a skewer and no trace of pink remains.)
- Boil 200g of the noodles in a large pan of boiling water for no more than 1 minute. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the groundnut oil in a wok over a high heat. Add the remaining noodles and fry for a few seconds, until crisp.
- Divide the blanched noodles among 3 or 4 serving bowls. Pour over the chicken and sauce.
- Break the fried noodles into small pieces and sprinkle them over each bowl of khao soi. Serve with lime wedges, chopped shallots and pickle mustard greens alongside